top of page
  • Writer's pictureRafael Arredondo


Man calling his car insurance agent with questions about the car crash he just had

Here are the top 5 questions we get from our customers regarding auto claims:

What should I do after an accident?

If there are injuries or the cars cannot be moved to a safe place, immediately call 911 or local police. If this is not necessary, then the first step is to exchange information including license, insurance, registrations and contact info. Also, take pictures of the damages to both cars and get the other vehicle(s) license plate. If possible, get the contact info of any witnesses. Make sure not to discuss who is at fault at the scene of the accidents…insurance companies will decide this. As a last step, call your car insurance agent and/or company for further assistance.

Should I call the police after an accident?

You should always call the police if there are injuries, cars can’t be moved to a safe place, there are multiple vehicles involved or one of the drivers flees . I would also suggest you call if you believe the other person is at fault but they are saying otherwise so that a report can help establish what really happened.

Can I go to any body shop if I have Collision coverage?

The State of California allows you to choose your own body shop but be careful because some insurance policies will charge an additional amount if you go out of network. Also, with any shop you use, be careful with unusual fees that are not covered by your insurance company and confirm that they guarantee their work.

Will an accident affect my insurance costs?

An accident will affect your rate if you are found at least 51% at fault and there is more than $1,000 in total damage or any injuries. These accidents will mostly impact your insurance rate for the first three years.

Will my car be repaired with Original or Aftermarket Parts?

This is a sensitive topic for some and the answer varies a little by the insurance company. Generally speaking, insurance companies can use LKQ (Like Kind and Quality) parts to repair your car. Often they will use OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) parts if your car is newer, if a safety component is involved or the LKQ part is not right (e.g. does not fit well or look right).

We know accidents can be stressful so we ask you to call our Bell Gardens office at 323-773-4429 if you have questions or need our help.

6 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page